Bird Watching at The Sea Ranch
An active bird-watching community at The Sea Ranch:
- maintains a list of birds that have been sighted at The Sea Ranch and its vicinity since its inception in 1964
- conducts an annual Christmas Bird Count in January
- sponsors a monthly bird walk, usually on the first Monday
- participates in local counts and research projects
The Updated Check List of birds is based on the sightings of various individuals, including early records from Al Wool, John Arnold, Benjamin "Mike" Parmeter, Rae Hudspeth and Evelyn Wadsworth over a period of many years.
"The Sea Ranch and Vicinity" includes the ocean area visible from The Sea Ranch and north to the adjacent Gualala River and estuary area.
Additions to this List will be made after confirmed sightings. For this purpose please call any of the following:
Connie Schimbor: (707) 785-9626; email@example.com
Diane Hichwa: (707) 785-1922; firstname.lastname@example.org
Dorothy Gregor: (510) 552-9625; email@example.com
Tim Moulton: (707) 785-2940; firstname.lastname@example.org
Birders of all levels of experience are welcome to join us in the listed activities. Please contact any of us for further information.
Birders may be interested in the greater detail that can be found in the following books and pamphlets, or may want to go to the websites of the two local Audubon Chapters, Mendocino Coast Audubon Society or, in Sonoma County, Madrone Audubon Society.
- Arnold, John R. Birds of the Sea Ranch and Adjacent Gualala River - An annotated Field List (1976-7), 27 pp.; this unpublished list can be seen at the library at Gualala Point Park, Gualala, CA.
- Bird Checklist of the CCNM, Point Arena Gateway Area, Gualala River to Alder Creek, 2012
- Burridge, Betty, Ed, Sonoma County Breeding Bird Atlas (1995), Madrone Audubon Society
- Bolander, Gordon & Benj. D. Parmeter, Birds of Sonoma County, California - An Annotated Checklist and Birding Gazetteer, (Rev and Updated 2000 by Benjamin D. Parmeter), Redwood Region Ornithological Society
- Checklist of Birds of Mendocino County, California (2005),compiled by Robert Keiffer, Demian Ebert, Charles Vaughn, George Chaniot, and Oliver Kolkmann; see Peregrine Audubon Society website to order.
- Printable List of the Birds of Mendocino County, see Peregrine Audubon Society website.
- Tobkin, Dorothy & Richard Kuehn, A List of Mendocino County Coastal Birds (PDF) , 2007
- Wool, Al, Ecotopia, wildlife in the "Life on the Sea Ranch Series" (1993) available from the Association Office
Birds Sighted at The Sea Ranch
Download a PDF listing species sighted here.
Or download an Excel spreadsheet.